Plasma-transferred arc welding (PTA welding) is a thermal process for applying wear and corrosion resistant layers on surfaces of metallic materials. The highly energetic plasma arc melts the surface of the base material. At the same time, the powdery filler material is inserted into the arc and also molten. During solidification, a substance-to-substance bond between the filler material and the base material is created.
PTAW Hardfacing benefits:
- Can Be Highly Automated – easily replicated
- Small heat affected zone – no metal warping
- High Powder Utilization
- Low Dilution rate
- Very Wide Range Of Hardfacing Materials
Scope of PTA:
- Chutes, liners
- Wear plates in dump truck bodies
- Wear plates in excavator and dragline buckets
- Wear strips 6 on 10, 3 on 10 etc.
- Shrouds – lips, heel, wing
- CHPP wear liner packages
- Shaft build up of rotating equipment equipment, shafts and housings
- Pump housings
- Crushing equipment
- Industrial fans
What are some of the results we’ve achieved so far?
- Esco S145 Eversharp lip adaptors from 1000 to 3200 hours (internal diameter wore before hardfacing)
- Esco S145 Nemisys adaptors inlay tungsten chip 2000 we achieved 4000 hours
- Esco Nemisys Tiger teeth from 400 to 1500 hours
- Bradken PA45X22H adaptor from 2000 to 5000 hours
- Bradken teeth from 200 to 1500 hours
- Hitachi Keech adaptors from 1500 (with inlay chip) to over 5000 hours with PTA
- CQMS Dragline Teeth from 180 to over 600 hours
- 24H Cutting Edges from 120 to 800 hours
- Industrial fan from 12 months life to 18 months
Results are documented in Case studies with onsite photos and/or written testimonials from our customers.
What does it cost to PTA hardface?
All prices provided are based on customised wear patterns and powder selection. As a guide price we aim to be around $7 per square inch. It is important to understand that cost and value are two distinctly different things. When you use PTA hardafcing the upfront cost is more but savings are significant due to less changeovers and machine downtime and the need to reorder as many parts. In certain environments it is not unheard of to achieve in excess of 3 times the life and sometimes as much as 7 times the life when utilising wear plates. The question that maintenance staff should ask themselves is how much does it cost to have my machine down whilst changing over GETs? The answer is always far more than it costs to pay extra for hardfacing parts.
The Plasma Hardfacing edge
Plasma Hardfacing have access to a wide range of international suppliers of quality, specialised powder which allow greater scope for innovative wear solutions for all environments. Research and development is at the heart of everything we do with the aim to develop Plasma branded powders that are unique to the customer and able to deliver outstanding results tailor made for their unique wear environment.
Our team has the experience and attitude to deliver a quality service that gives you peace of mind that your parts are in safe hands. Nothing leaves the workshop unless it meets our strict quality control standards.
For many mines the technology has successfully passed trials but the costs were too prohibitive. Plasma Hardfacing recognises that in this difficult financial environment customers need to get value for money and increase the cost to benefit ratio. We deliver the same outstanding results at the right price to maximise your profits.